Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ashwin in Paris - 3





We finally reached the Galeni metro station. From there we boarded the metro at 2305 hrs. The destination station was the third from Galeni. I was telling you about the metro. After seeing the metro map attached earlier you would have understood how complex the network is. The stations cannot be branded as very clean but they were ok. The one thing that I liked about the stations was that there were plenty of signboards to direct you. The basic word with which you should know is the French word for exit---"Sortie". With this word and the metro map that I attached in my previous post, youcan roam anywhere in Paris........:-). I hope I am not exagerating :-).

The metro trains are also good. Each compartment (bogie) lists all the stations that comes in that route (u can see this in the photo attached). I have a few pics that we took in the train. These photos will not help you in forming any opinion on how the trains are. But these are the only photos that I have.

Then we reached our destination station "Pere Lachaise". With the help of "Sortie" we came out of the station. Now the challenge at 2325 hrs was to find out where our hotel is. The temperature was low and no one was there on streets (their presence would have also not helped as we did not know the local language :-)). We had the street name where our hotel was and thus two of us went in different directions to find out where that street was.One thing that I like about Brussels and Paris is that they have a name for each street, however small or narrow the street is. The most important thing being that they have the name of the street written on both ends of the street.

I managed to find out the street where our hotel was. It was very near to the station. Then we all started towards that street.

Did we find our hotel? Was there any surpise in store for us?

To get answer to these questions and many more keep watching this space :-))))))))))

No comments: